Discussion: I'm looking for information on Donald Laing who married and had his children in North Uist, ended up in South Uist about 1833 and then came to Cape Breton in 1843. I am looking for any records that might exist on his of his family during their time in South Uist.
They came from Croft Number 2 in Knockintorran (Cnoc an Torran). Donald was the son of John, son of Andrew. He married a Kirsty MacPhail. Donald was said to have been born in 1791, but his first child was born in 1805 so I doubt that. Kirsty was born about 1786.
Their children are:
1. Roderick b. 1805 married Elizabeth MacIntyre. They came to Cape Breton. Roderick's second wife was Mary Walker.
Children of Donald Laing and Kirsty MacPhail
2. Angus Laing/Lynk born about 1808 and died before 1891 in Cape Breton. Wife was Mary Ferguson. Unknown if he married in North Uist, South Uist, or Cape Breton.
3. Ann Laing (1811-1889) who married Angus Stewart. They ended up in Dalabrog.
4. John Laing (1811-?) who married Marion MacDonald.
5. Murdo (1819-?)
6. Mary (1821-?)
7. Marion (1823-?)
8. Andrew (1824-1867) married Sarah MacDonald and came to Cape Breton.
9. Jessie (1826-?) married to a John/James MacKinnon and came to Cape Breton.
10. Flora (1827-1856) and she never married.
I show direct DNA matches to Angus (my 3x Great Grandfather), Jessie who married John/James MacKinnon, and a descendant of Donald Laing's brother Ronald Laing.
Thank you if anyone can help.